The Telecommunications Industry promises fast, ubiquitous and unlimited mobile internet access with the next generation of 5G technologies by 2020, along with removal of cheap, secure and safer landlines. This 5G network is designed to provide faster downloads, streaming movies, wireless virtual reality, in addition to being the platform for the Internet of Things, whereby all our household devices are connected to this system wirelessly for remote control. While there may be limited medical applications, 5G will mainly be used for more immersive entertainment and surveillance with much greater public exposure, especially in “Smart Cities”. Military uses have also been discussed. This 5thgeneration (5G) system uses high frequency electromagnetic radiation with Gigahertz (GHz) wavelengths in the millimeter range. These high frequency tiny wavelengths penetrate only the outer layer of the skin, unlike 2G, 3G and 4G technology which passes through the body. Major health concerns with exposure to 5G are to skin, eye and adverse systemic metabolic signaling through skin sensors, as well as heat effects. Some in Congress have seriously questioned the lack of independent research on 5G safety.
The First Report of 5G Injury is in Switzerland
The first reported injury of 5G in a news report comes from Switzerland, where 5G has been launched in 102 locations. The weekly French-language Swiss magazine L’Illustré interviewed people living in Geneva after the 5G rollout with alarming details of illness. In their article, With 5G, We Feel Like Guinea Pigs, posted July 18, 2019, they report neighbors met to discuss their many common symptoms and many unanswered questions. See also First Report of 5G Injury from Switzerland
What is the Difference Between 5G and 4G Wireless Technology?
To start, be careful not to confuse 5G Fifth Generation Technology with the 5Gigahertz (GHz) frequencies used in wireless devices. Some devices state they are 5G, but at this point in time it is meant to be 5GHz frequency of transmission. 5G technology uses much higher frequencies (10-300 GHZ) and is still in development stages (other than pilot projects). See also What’s the Difference Between 5G and 5GHz Wi-Fi?
5G technology is different than prior 2G, 3G or 4G technology in the following ways:
- Frequencies: 4G uses several different frequencies from 750MHz to about 2,400-5,000 MHz(2.4 GHz to 5 GHz- typical Wi Fi and cell phone) – 5G (proposed 5th generation) uses10GHz to 300GHz, but lower frequencies will also be used and the frequencies and speed will vary with each carrier i.e. 600 MHz will be used by T Mobile. Sprint will use 2.5GHz, called mid-band, which will penetrate walls. PC Magazine on April 16, 2019 notes, “The actual 5G radio system, known as 5G-NR, isn’t compatible with 4G. But all 5G devices in the US, to start, will need 4G because they’ll lean on it to make initial connections before trading up to 5G where it’s available. That’s technically known as a “non standalone,” or NSA, network. https://www.pcmag.com/article/345387/what-is-5g
- Wavelengths: 4G electromagnetic wavelengths are inches to feet long – 5G frequencies are in centimeters to millimeters, but again lower frequencies will also be used, creating a mix of frequencies and therefore wavelengths.
- Depth of Skin and Body Absorption: 4G microwave radiation (2.4GHz and 5 GHz) passes through bodies and the energy is absorbed by anything that contains water (can’t cook dry rice in a microwave oven), while 5G (5th Generation) penetrates only the outer layers of the skin in humans. Again the mix of frequencies in cell towers and cell phones will have a mix of skin and body penetration
- Distance Radiation Travels: 4G can travel dozens of miles in a line of sight and if poles are placed high. In experiments 5G can travel a few miles but is easily blocked by objects, trees and plants thus poles are planned for every 300 feet in cities
- Mechanisms of Harm: 4G and low band 5G (600MHz) emissions can cause oxidation of tissues (93 of 100 studies), 5G millimeter wavelengths can have their effect through heat (tissue destruction), through a resonance effect of increased vibration in an object the size of the wavelengths, and at low power levels through signaling of skin structures that can affect metabolism, the nervous system, the endocrine system, the reproductive system (Declassified Military studies)
- Amount of Testing Done: 4G technology has been tested by the military and by international scientists with an abundance of studies showing broad harm to animals, humans, plants, insects and bacteria. 5G technology has been studied by some in the military showing broad harm and some newer studies are showing damage to insects, tissue burns and overheating with streaming of data, but there has been no safety testing of 5G before it is rolled out.
Size of Wavelengths with Varying Frequencies
In general the higher the frequency the sorter the wavelength. One conversion chart is here that shows the different wavelengths and frequencies for 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G.
- 5G: 600 MHz = cm microwaves of 50cm ≈ 20 inches (“MHz” = Megahertz)
- 4G: 700 MHz = cm microwaves of ~43cm ≈ 17 inches (“cm” = centimeter)
- 3G/4G: 800 MHz = cm microwaves of 37.5cm ≈ 15 inches
- 3G/4G: 900 MHz = cm microwaves of ~33.3cm ≈ 13 inches
- 3G/4G: 1800 MHz = cm microwaves of ~16.7cm ≈ 6.6 inches
- 3G/4G: 2100 MHz = cm microwaves of ~14.3cm ≈ 5.6 inches
- Wi-Fi: 2450 MHz = cm microwaves of ~12cm ≈5 inches
- 5G: 3100 MHz to 3550 MHz = ~9.7 to ~8.5cm ≈ 3.8 to 3.3 inches
- 5G: 3550 MHz to 3700 MHz = ~8.5cm to ~8.1cm ≈ 3.3 to 3.2 inches
- 5G: 3700 MHz to 4200 MHz = ~8.1cm to ~7cm ≈ 3.2 to 2.8 inches
- 5G: 4200 to 4900 MHz = ~7cm to ~6cm ≈ 2.8 to 2.4 inches
- Wi-Fi: 5800 MHz = ~5cm microwaves of ~2 inches (“mm” = millimeter)
- 5G: 24,250 to 24,450 MHz = mm microwaves of ~12mm ≈ 0.5 inch
- 5G: 25,050 to 25,250 MHz = mm microwaves of ~12mm ≈ 0.5 inch
- 5G: 25,250 to 27,500 MHz = mm microwaves of ~11mm ≈ 0.4 inch
- 5G: 27,500 to 29,500 MHz = mm microwaves of ~10mm ≈ 0.4 inch
- 5G: 31,800 to 33,400 MHz = mm microwaves of ~9mm ≈ 0.4 inch
- 5G: 37,000 to 40,000 MHz = mm microwaves of ~8mm ≈ 0.3 inch
- 5G: 42,000 to 42,500 MHz = mm microwaves of ~7mm ≈ 0.3 inch
- 5G: 64,000 to 71,000 MHz = mm microwaves of ~5mm ≈ 0.2 inch
- 5G: 71,000 to 76,000 MHz = mm microwaves of ~4mm ≈ 0.2 inch
- 5G: 81,000 to 86,000 MHz = mm microwaves of ~3.6mm ≈ 0.1 inch