WELLINGTON, Aug. 17 (Xinhua) — Dozens of aftershocks have rattled central New Zealand overnight following Saturday’s 6.6 magnitude quake, as the capital of Wellington got back to business and South Island town of Seddon, where most of the quakes were centered, started its clean up.
There have been 44 quakes over magnitude 4.0 since Friday’s 6.6- magnitude quake, New Zealand government geological website GeoNet said.
State Highway 1 between Seddon and south of Ward would reopen at about midday after road repair crews fixed cracks in the road, the Fairfax NZ News reported Saturday.
A Marlborough District Council spokeswoman said the road between Blenheim and Seddon near the epicenter of quakes was open but drivers should take care.
Wairau Hospital in Blenheim has treated five people for earthquake-related injuries. Nelson Marlborough District Health Board health emergency controller Mike Cummins said one person had been admitted to hospital and was in a stable condition.
Further north, Central Wellington is open for business as usual, despite some cordoned off areas and continued aftershocks.
Some buildings sustained minor damages but there have been no reports of major structural damage so far, according to the Wellington Region Emergency Management Office.
All roads are open, bus services are operating, trains have resumed normal services, and the Interislander ferries are operating as normal.
The street, Lukes Lane, remained cordoned off pending the demolition of a lift shaft which was damaged in July’s big shake.
Some lift machinery would be removed Saturday, but the bulk of the work would have to wait till a big crane arrives from Christchurch, Wellington Mayor Celia Wade-Brown said.
Council engineers had checked out civic buildings and bridges, while some private building inspections are ongoing.
There were some reports of water damage, but no further structural damage had yet been found.
Seismologists have warned the aftershocks will keep coming.