- LAX screener tests positive
- New York has reported another 5 case, raising the total to 11.
- Dr. Fauci says up to 20% of Covid-19 cases could require hospitalization
- Trump confirms he’ll sign emergency virus package
- Cali reports 1st death, bringing US toll to 11
- South Korea reports 438 new cases, deaths climb to 35
- Pence says US death toll has climbed to 10
- The US House has passed an $8.3 billion to fight the virus.
- Italy finally confirms school closure
- Italy will ban public events, and close cinemas and theaters even though the government denied an earlier ANSA report that the country would also close schools & universities momentarily
- Fla reports 4th case
- CDC investigating cruise ship ‘Grand Princess’ linked to cluster of cases in NorCal
- Italy urges elderly people to stay indoors if possible
- Iraq confirms 3rd death
- Slovenia confirms 1st case
- Brazil records 3rd case
- Ecuador confirms 3 new cases, raising total to 10
- Pence confirms after meeting airline execs that travelers from Italy & SK would be tested multiple times
- German finance minister declares outbreak “a global pandemic”
- Cali joins Washington & Florida in declaring state of emergency
- Russia blames “enemies” for spreading fake news about outbreak
- Israel urges people to stop shaking hands, will quarantine travelers from most of Europe
- EU reports a second coronavirus case at its headquarters in Brussels
- France has reported 28 new coronavirus cases, bringing the total to 285
- UK cases surge by 34 to a total of 85 – a 66% surge.
- China reported 119 additional coronavirus cases and 38 additional deaths
- South Korea reported 809 additional coronavirus cases and 4 additional deaths; has carried out 136,000 tests
- Israel quarantines group of soccer fans
- “Official” Iranian death toll hits 92
- Saudi suspends Umra pilgrimage
- Japan confirms 3 more cases from Osaka
* * *
Update (2040ET): Yonhap reports that South Korea has reported 438 new cases of the novel coronavirus, bringing the national total to 5,766. Most of the new cases were identified in the southeastern Daegu, a city of 2.5 million and the epicenter of the outbreak.
As of Thursday morning in Seoul, the death toll had climbed to 35, mostly elderly patients with underlying illnesses.
So far, roughly 60% of SK cases have been linked to a branch of the Shincheonji church in Daegu.
* * *
Update (1930ET): China reported another drop in cases on Wednesday: 139 additional cases of coronavirus and 31 additional deaths on March 4 compared to the day prior, when the gov’t reported 119 additional cases and 38 additional deaths. The total number of cases in mainland China has risen to 80,409, and the death toll has hit 3,012
* * *
Update (1915ET): Cali Gov. Gavin Newsom has followed the lead of the governors of Florida and Washington State by declaring a state-wide ‘State of Emergency’. He also promised that the state would “monitor” price gouging.