How eight elite San Francisco families funded Gavin Newsom’s political ascent

LA Times

Gavin Newsom wasn’t born rich, but he was born connected — and those alliances have paid handsome dividends throughout his career.

A coterie of San Francisco’s wealthiest families has backed him at every step of his political rise, which in November could lead next to his election as governor of California.

San Francisco society’s “first families” — whose names grace museum galleries, charity ball invitations and hospital wards — settled on Newsom, 50, as their favored candidate two decades ago, said Willie Brown, former state Assembly speaker and former mayor of the city.  

“He came from their world, and that’s why they embraced him without hesitancy and over and above everybody else,” said Brown, who is a mentor to Newsom. “They didn’t need to interview him. They knew what he stood for.”

A Times review of campaign finance records identified eight of San Francisco’s best-known families as being among Newsom’s most loyal and long-term contributors. Among those patrons are the Gettys, the Pritzkers and the Fishers, whose families made their respective fortunes in oil, hotels and fashion. They first backed him when he was a restaurateur and winery owner running for county supervisor in 1998, and have continued their support through the governor’s race.

They are not Newsom’s largest donors: The families in total have given about $2 million of the $61 million that donors have contributed to his campaigns and independent committees backing those bids. But they gave while he was a relative unknown, providing crucial support to a political newcomer in the years before his campaign accounts piled high with cash from labor unions, Hollywood honchos, tech billionaires and donors up and down the state.

Read the rest here: http://www.latimes.com/projects/la-pol-ca-gavin-newsom-san-francisco-money/

3 thoughts on “How eight elite San Francisco families funded Gavin Newsom’s political ascent

  1. They are not Newsom’s largest donors. The families in total have given about $2 million of the $61 million that donors have contributed to his campaigns and independent committees backing those bids.

    So a Christian scientist family and 2 joo families support a jesuit candidate are worth mentioning that they provide just over 3% of his backing, but the other almost 97% goes unmentioned?

    There is almost 59 million dollars coming from KNOWN zio-joo commie owned industries that have been intentionally left OUT of this article and that in itself is proof enough of shenanigans.

    Not to mention THEIR idea of “rich” probably varies greatly from OURS.

  2. “Among those patrons are the Gettys, the Pritzkers…”

    Now THERE’S a name I haven’t heard mentioned in a while.

    That b#tch Penny Pritzker was THE main perpetrator behind the 2008 ‘derivatives bubble burst’. The Superior Bank of Chitcago…

    “Responding to the Wall Street Journal, Pritzker noted she had no ownership in the bank, either direct or indirect, and that the bank’s reasons for failure “were complex, including changes in accounting practices, auditing failures, reversals in regulatory positions and general economic conditions”.

    And how was she rewarded for her BLATANT THEFT from the people of this country?

    “Pritzker was confirmed by the full Senate on June 25, by a vote of 97 to 1. Pritzker was sworn in as Secretary on June 26, 2013.”

    No corruption goes unrewarded.

  3. any middle class Californian who votes for G. Newsom, deserves what they get. More and more taxes, High speed rail which we know everyone needs. Thanks to the Gettys and soros who will not be hurt by taxes.

Join the Conversation

Your email address will not be published.


*