Magazine Mistakenly Advises Eating Dangerous Mushroom

Fly Agaric MushroomCBS New York

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — A magazine in Arizona has decided to pull its October issue from newsstands, after mistakenly advising that a mushroom that can cause hallucinations is edible.

Arizona Highways Magazine announced Friday that in its October 2013 issue, it mistakenly included an item advising that the fly agaric mushroom is edible.  

“The fly agaric mushroom should not be consumed in its raw form because of its unpredictable psychotropic and physical effects,” the magazine said in a correction posted in its WordPress blog.

The advice appeared in a “Nature’s Factoid” feature, according to published reports.

“This issue will not be sold on newsstands, and we are alerting our subscribers to the mistake. We regret the error,” Win Holden, publisher of Arizona Highways magazine, said on the WordPress blog.

The fly agaric mushroom, or Amanita muscaria, typically appears as a red toadstool with white spots. Within the U.S., varieties of the mushroom are seen most often in the southeastern states, but have also been spotted in New York and New Jersey, according to experts.

The mushroom is considered toxic and hallucinatory, but several sources have said it can, in fact, be eaten if parboiled so as to remove the toxic substances.

Fly agaric mushrooms are different from “magic mushrooms,” a description given to several species of mushrooms containing the potent hallucinogens psilocybin and psilocin.

While there are no laws concerning fly agaric mushrooms, “magic mushrooms” are illegal to possess or sell under federal law. In the Tri-State Area, they are also illegal under New York, New Jersey and Connecticut state law.

In every state except New Mexico, growing psilocybin-containing mushrooms can result in prosecution for manufacture of a controlled substance.

9 thoughts on “Magazine Mistakenly Advises Eating Dangerous Mushroom

  1. These Fly Agaric mushrooms have been used for thousands of years. I have eaten them a number of times a few years ago straight from the ground growing naturally and no I did not get sick or have any bad side effects. I didn`t think that they were so special besides providing a detatched feeling and they did have auditory sounds. No I wouldn`t want anyone to or advise useing them as there are a lot better things for altered states of reality. There are other things to blow your liver on ya all know what I mean. Just my experience with them and again I would not do them again and I definately wouldn`t advise anyone to use them either. They were a waste of time and who knows I just may have been lucky by not getting sick or ending up in the hosp..

          1. Way better than those Fly Agarics Millard. Yea, those Fly Agarics are those mushrooms ya always see in those movies, especially in a lot of Disney movies.- they sometimes have lepracans and fairies associated with them………… Anyway it is time to call it a nite so Good Nite Ya`ll, see ya all tomorrow I hope 🙂

    1. Eating magic mushrooms makes me laugh a lot. I haven’t had them in years. I once had an interview(over 20 years ago) with a Member of the South Australian Parliament. He must have thought that I was bat guano insane as I was practically rolling on the floor in hysterics at nearly every serious thing he said. I cannot remember how the interview ended so I may have even been carried out of the office by the police. I have no idea. LOL

    1. yes, you hit the nail on the head, Ted.

      Why do we celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ, who lived in a desert, by dragging a pine tree into the house, and who is the fat guy riding a sled pulled by reindeer? Not something you’d see in Galilee.
      Christian missionaries combined the birthday with a holiday already being celebrated by Nordic nomads, whose priests dressed like Santa, and distributed these mushroom on the longest night of the year. They grow beneath pine trees, and this is why we wrap presents in red and white paper and put them under the Christmas tree. (it’s no longer considered acceptable to give hallucinogens to your children)
      They lived in tee-pee like structures, and used the smoke hole as an entrance. That’s why Santa “comes down the chimney.”
      The mushrooms are poisonous unless they’re dried, and that was done by putting them on a string and draping it around the tree. The modern Christmas tree decoration uses popcorn as a substitute.
      And after a few of these mushrooms are in your belly, reindeer most certainly can fly.

Join the Conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *