Stricter public health emergency rules to start tonight for Maui County
Mayor Michael Victorino reminds the public that stricter public health emergency rules are effective tonight, April 10, at 11 p.m. for Maui County.
Stricter public health emergency rules include:
Bed and Breakfast and Short-Term Rental operations
- Bed and Breakfast Homes and Short-Term Rentals are NOT allowed to operate unless it is to house essential workers.
- New reservations are not allowed for the emergency period unless for essential workers.
Only two (2) members of a household may leave home to conduct any essential activities
- Other household members may only accompany if they absolutely cannot be left home alone (i.e. young children, elderly and persons with disabilities).
Essential businesses are required to limit entrance to two (2) people from one household
- Other household members may only accompany if absolutely necessary (i.e. young children, elderly and persons with disabilities).
- This applies to all essential businesses.
Face coverings or masks are required for certain essential businesses
- Essential businesses with employees that have direct public contact or handle food must wear face coverings or masks.
- All employers must allow all employees to voluntarily wear face coverings or masks.
- The public is strongly encouraged to wear face coverings anytime they leave home.
The public is also reminded that roving checkpoints will begin this Saturday.
Police will require the following at roving checkpoints:
- Reason for travel
Exemptions will be made for licenses and registration that expired during the emergency declaration period.
The complete and updated list of Public Health Emergency Rules can be viewed at mauicounty.gov.
The Mayor’s Office Call Center will be open from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturday, April 11, and closed on Easter Sunday, April 12.
Although the public is “strongly encouraged” to wear a mask, the store that are open are requiring one if you want to enter. Grocery stores, Home Depot, Walmart, Target, Hardware stores, etc.
My daughter, her boyfriend and my son went to the grocery store yesterday and the security guard at the door made them SPLIT UP to enter! Only 2 people can shop together at any time.