You may engage the following individuals based on their conduct:
• Persons who are committing hostile acts against Coalition forces (CF).
• Persons who are exhibiting hostile intent towards CF.
These persons may be engaged subject to the following instructions:
Positive identification (PID) is required prior to engagement. PID is a reasonable certainty that the proposed target is a legitimate military target. If no PID, contact your next higher commander for decision.
Use graduated measures of force. When time and circumstance permit, use the following degrees of graduated force when responding to hostile act/intent:
1. Shout verbal warnings to halt.
2. Show your weapon and demonstrate intentto use it.
3. Block access or detain.
4. Warning shots may be permitted in your operating environment (OE)/area of responsibility (AOR).
5. Fire proportional lethal force.
Do not target or strike anyone who has surrendered or is out of combat due to sickness or wounds.
Do not target or strike hospitals, mosques, churches, shrines, schools, museums, national monuments, any other historical and cultural sites, or civilian populated areas or buildings UNLESS the enemy is using them for military purposes or if necessary for your self-defense.
Do not target or strike Local infrastructure (public works, commercial communication facilities , dams), lines of communication (roads, highways, tunnels, bridges, railways), or economic objects (commercial storage facilities, pipelines) UNLESS necessary for self-defense or if ordered by your commander. If you must fire on these objects, fire to disable and disrupt rather than destroy.
ALWAYS minimize incidental injury, loss of life, and collateral damage.
The use of force, including deadly force, is authorized to
protect the following:
• Yourself, your unit, and other friendly forces.
• Civilians from crimes that are likely to cause death or serious bodily harm, such as murder or rape.
• Designated personnel or property, when such actions are necessary to restore order and security.
In general, WARNING SHOTS are authorized ONLY when the use of deadly force would be authorized in that particular situation.
Treat all civilians and their property with respect and dignity. Do not seize civilian property, including vehicles, unless the property presents a security threat. When possible, give a receipt to the property’s owner.
You may DETAIN civilians based upon a reasonable belief that the person:
• Must be detained for purposes of self-defense.
• Is interfering with CF mission accomplishment.
• Is on a list of persons wanted for questioning, arrest, or detention.
• Is or was engaged in criminal activity.
• Must be detained for imperative reasons of security.
Anyone you detain MUST be protected. Force, up to and including deadly force, is authorized to protect detainees in your custody. You MUST fill out a detainee apprehension card for EVERY person you detain.
Looting and the taking of war trophies are prohibited.
All personnel MUST report any suspected violations of the Law of War committed by any US, friendly, or enemy force. Notify your chain of command, Judge Advocate, IG, Chaplain, or appropriate service-related investigative branch.