Brooklyn District Attorney Kenneth Thompson on Thursday confirmed he will not prosecute the two city officers who shot and killed a 16-year-old boy last year.
Kimani Gray’s family members say they are disgusted and disappointed by the decision.
The officers shot Gray seven times on an East Flatbush street last March.
Gray’s family said he was just on his way home from a party, but police say he pulled out a gun when they tried to question him.
The family claims the gun was planted.
At a press conference, the boy’s mother, Carol Gray, says because there are questions over basic facts the case should have at least been sent to a grand jury.
“Bring them to justice, let the judge decide, let you the country decide, let the city decide. But give us a day in court, one day in court, just one day to show that they are responsible for Kimani’s life,” Gray said.
“It’s a travesty it’s a travesty everyone has civil rights and they need to be protected,” said Victor Dunlop, the Gray family’s attorney.
Gray’s mother says not prosecuting the officers sends the message that the community does not care about the lives of young black men.
“The cops is way above the law. They look at young black teenagers as minorities, I mean,
expendables,” Gray said.
The family says it is filing a federal wrongful death suit and may talk to the U.S. Department of Justice about a civil rights violations case.