Ferguson Woman Shot After Protest, Police Have Yet to Investigate

Ben Swann – by Rachel Blevins

Following the shooting of unarmed teenager Michael Brown by Police Officer Darren Wilson, on Saturday, August 9, the city of Ferguson, Missouri has been filled with chaos. Public demonstrations protesting Brown’s death have been ongoing, and the local law enforcement in Ferguson has responded with military-level equipment.

While many protesters have obtained injuries from tear gas, Ferguson resident Mya Aaten-White was shot in the head when she was walking to her car after a protest, on Wednesday, August 13.  

The St. Louis Dispatch reported that at “about 12:20 a.m. Wednesday, a woman was shot in the head in the 1300 block of Highmont Drive.”

I made it a block and a half then I heard gunshots,” Aaten-White told News 4 in St. Louis. “I put my hands to my head and realized I had been shot in the forehead.”

Aaten-White received aid from other local residents, who picked her up and carried her to a“neighbor’s house of a young man who had just moved into a new home with his fiancé and their children.”

We had to call 911 three times before we got a response vehicle there,” said Aaten-White, who went on to say that when they finally did arrived, “Officers came with guns drawn.”

Aaten-White said the officers questioned the homeowners about how long they had lived in the house, and if it was under their name. When they questioned Aaten-White about what had happened, she responded, “I was shot, obviously.”

Aaten-Whie was taken to the Hospital, and she posted a picture of her ambulance ride on her Instagram account:

Screen Shot 2014-08-23 at 3.26.01 PM

Doctors performed surgery to remove the bullet from Aaten-White’s forehead. She was told that the bullet was confiscated as evidence.

However, regarding any contact between Aaten-White and Police while she was at the Hospital, Aaten-White told News 4, “No officer ever showed up to speak with me… neither from Ferguson police or St. Louis County,

Despite the fact that no formal investigation had been conducted, the St. Louis Dispatch reported that the incident appeared to be a “drive-by shooting.

Aaten-White graduated from Howard University in Washington, D.C., in 2012. Following the shooting, they took to Twitter to express their condolences:

Screen Shot 2014-08-24 at 9.42.52 AM

When Aaten-White’s alma mater learned that no formal investigation had been conducted, they hired a lawyer, in an attempt to convince police to take Aaten-White’s case seriously.


Rachel Blevins is a student in the College of Media and Communication at Texas Tech University. She aspires to break the left/right paradigm in media and politics by pursuing truth and questioning authority as she establishes her journalism career.


Start the Conversation

Your email address will not be published.