US urges citizens to leave Yemen ‘immediately’ 06 Aug 2013
The US State Department on Tuesday ordered all non-essential staff out of Yemen and told US citizens to leave the country “immediately” over terrorism concerns. The latest warning comes after the closure of some two dozen US missions across the Middle East and Africa and reports of intercepted messages from Al-Qaeda’s top leader ordering its Yemen franchise to carry out an attack.
Intercepts between ‘Al-Qaeda chief Ayman Al-Zawahiri’ and the leader of the group’s Yemen affiliate sparked the closure of the US missions and a global travel alert, US media reported Monday.
The New York Times said in its online edition that the electronic communications last week revealed that Zawahiri had ordered Nasser al-Wuhayshi, the head of Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, to carry out an attack as early as this past Sunday.
CNN meanwhile reported that Zawahiri told Wuhayshi to “do something,” causing officials in both Washington and Yemen to fear an attack was imminent.