Four people and one hostage-taker have been killed at a supermarket in Paris as security forces undertook a rescue operation, according to reports. A worker in Dammartin-en-Goele has been freed, and the two suspects in the Charlie Hebdo massacre killed.
Several loud blasts were heard and smoke has been rising over the printworks in the industrial zone north east of Paris.
Security forces had the building surrounded for most of Friday before the explosions happened.
The National Gendarmerie Intervention Group (GIGN), a special operations unit of the French Armed Forces, launched the assault, reported Le Figaro.
The Hebdo suspects emerged firing on security forces, reported an AFP source. One policeman was reportedly injured in the operation. However, he is not in a critical condition.
Meanwhile, the hostages who were held at the grocery store in Porte de Vincennes in Paris are being released. The hostage taker is reportedly dead, after special forces entered the building and killed him, according to Le Monde.
— AFP Photo (@AFPphoto) January 9, 2015
Subsequent unconfirmed reports suggested that as many of four of the hostages in the kosher supermarket had been killed.
A police union source told Reuters that at least four were feared dead, and that he believed up to 20 hostages in total had been held in the building.
While figures remain unclear, a security source also told AFP that as many as four had been critically wounded.