Think telemarketers are bad? How would you like to have a local cop pull you over so he can advertise a business? This is really happening in Plumas County.
Plumas County, California Sheriff’s Department is using deputies to pull over motorists and give them actual ice cones from the British ice cream company Wall’s. The company makes individually wrapped ice cream cones that are commonly sold at gas stations and convenient stores.
The Sheriff’s department is calling the campaign of harassment/advertising “Driving Without Ice Cream.” Ironically, California is one of the states that gives tickets for eating while driving. So if you actually eat it while driving, the same deputy could pull them over and give them a crippling citation.
If you don’t eat the ice cream it is going to start melting all over your car by the time you get home.
Critics say it is a built in scam so the deputies can conduct fishing expeditions. They can use the ice cream hustle as an excuse to pull over anyone without any cause.
5 thoughts on “Merging cops with corporations. Plumas County deputies pull over motorists to advertise ice cream company”
The intent with this is to portray cops as caring individuals after the recent flops and backlash of the twitter #mynypd and #mylapd .
“Critics say it is a built in scam so the deputies can conduct fishing expeditions. They can use the ice cream hustle as an excuse to pull over anyone without any cause.”
Kids, do you remember what mommy said about staying far away from the man with the van offering free candy and a puppy?
Seriously though, pulling motorists over for the sole purpose of advertising is the most blatant abuse of authority. What’s next? Perhaps they’ll hide drugs in said products and have another officer down the road pull them over and arrest them for drug possession. I cannot believe that we the people pay these clowns to abuse us.
1. This is where our tax dollars are going? We pay cops to advertise products to us rather than finding and arresting criminals like they should be doing?
2. Is this even legal? (not that anything they do is legal these days anyways)
3. Doesn’t this go against labor laws and isn’t this a conflict of interest which makes it illegal?
4. I don’t even give a shit if this is supposed to make cops look good because NOTHING will make a cop look good in my eyes. They are way past the point of no return. No cop is a good cop as far as I’m concerned.
5. This is pure proof of Fascism alive and well in America as this is clearly the merging of state and corporate powers.
6. This is an illegal stop which goes against many court decisions which clearly state that police CANNOT stop a person without probable cause of wrongdoing.
7. This is blatant harassment and abuse of authority.
If this happens to you, tell the pig you are lactose intolerance. them pull out a Mary K or Amway brochure, see how fast the pig runs.
I m gonna throw up.What a waste,try catching a criminal,plus this has to be illegal.