Building at South Meck HS evacuated due to ‘air quality’ incident caused by clogged toilet

WCNC

CHARLOTTE, N.C. – A building at South Mecklenburg High School was evacuated Wednesday due to an “air quality incident” after several students complained of teary eyes and burning throats.

According to Charlotte Fire, Building D on the school’s campus was evacuated around 1 p.m. Wednesday.  

Firefighters at the scene said they believe sewer gases from a stopped-up toilet caused the students’ symptoms. The incident happened after a maintenance worker plunged the toilet. Some of the students were treated for their symptoms at the school by Medic, fire officials said.

https://www.wcnc.com/article/news/health/building-at-south-meck-hs-evacuated-due-to-air-quality-incident-caused-by-clogged-toilet/275-557518125

5 thoughts on “Building at South Meck HS evacuated due to ‘air quality’ incident caused by clogged toilet

  1. “……sewer gases from a stopped-up toilet caused the students’ symptoms……”

    That’s ridiculous. Every toilet and sink in America has a “P-trap” built into the plumbing that traps enough water to prevent sewer gases from reaching the inside of a house. (look under your kitchen sink and see the pipes that form a double U shape — that remains filled with water to block gasses from entering)

    I have no idea what got the students sick, but it wasn’t sewer gasses.

Join the Conversation

Your email address will not be published.


*