Advocates encouraging state and federal officials to support what they call “sensible gun laws” held a rally in downtown Little Rock Thursday.
The attendees included area residents, faith leaders, survivors of gun violence, and the family members of victims killed during the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown, Connecticut.
Bill Branham is a gun owner and an avid target shooter. He’s lived in Arkansas since 1972 and decided to participate in the event.
“I support everything this group is doing. I support enhanced background checks. I support limiting gun magazines to five or ten rounds – no more thirty-round magazines,” said Branham. “My daughter was killed by a gun in December 2007… I hope some good can come out of this rally and other rallies across the country.”
Reverend Elliott Blocker said he has always been concerned about the high crime-rate in parts of the greater Little Rock area that negatively impact all families.
“I believe that we, as a people, should unite and it doesn’t matter what your background is, what your educational level is, or your financial status,” said Blocker. “We all share the same concerns when it comes to gun control. A bullet doesn’t have a name and it doesn’t have a respect of person… various communities should come together and let politicians know our concerns about gun violence.”
The “No More Names: National Drive to Reduce Gun Violence” is expected to continue its 25-state bus tour after the Little Rock event. Supporters say they want to encourage Congress to pass bipartisan background check legislation.
Mayors Against Illegal Guns has been targeting Pryor for weeks in various ads. Pryor responded last month with a television ad in which he said, “No one from New York or Washington tells me what to do. I listen to Arkansas.”