Man who took video of Rohnert Park cop pulling gun to sue city

KTVU – by Paul Chambers

ROHNERT PARK, Calif. (KTVU) — The lawyer for a man who says he was unarmed and minding his own business when a Rohnert Park police officer pulled a gun on him on Thursday announced his client plans to sue the city over the incident.

The man shot cell phone video of the officer drawing his service revolver that will be central to the case.  

KTVU –

Don McComas told KTVU he was hitching his boat to a vehicle on July 29th when a Rohnert Park police officer pulled a gun on him. At a press conference on Thursday, attorney Dan Beck, who is representing McComas, claims the officer abused his power when he pulled his gun out on his client.

All the while McComas was recording the incident on his cell phone.

“He thought he was going to die. He thought he was going to be shot. He thought there was nobody around, nobody can see this,” said Beck.

After the incident, McComas posted the video to his Facebook account. Since then, hundreds of thousands of people have viewed the five minute video.

It shows the officer leaving his patrol car and drawing his gun all the while repeatedly telling McComas to remove his hand from his pocket. According to Beck, his client complied with the officer. However, some say McComas sounded confrontational in the video.

Beck said the lawsuit will be for abuse of power and violation of his clients civil rights. Beck says because of this incident, McComas is receiving medical care.

In the video, McComas tells to the officer he’s done nothing wrong and to go away. He goes on to say “You guys have done enough to my family.” When asked about this portion, Beck declined to talk about his client’s past.

Rohnert Park city leaders said they are aware of the video and plan to conduct two separate investigations into the incident even though there hasn’t been a formal complaint.

“We’ve seen it and we’re concerned about what we have seen. We’re taking a real close look at this during a review and that will include a review of the interaction on the video as well as our policies and procedures,” said Don Schwartz, Assistant City Manager of Rohnert Park

Schwartz said the officer involved is on vacation, taking time off that was planned well before this incident.

On Thursday morning, Rohnert Park Police canceled a scheduled “Coffee with a Cop” event because they heard through social media that there was a threat to disrupt the event and could put the community at risk.

http://wn.ktvu.com/story/29731155/man-who-took-video-of-rohnert-park-cop-pulling-gun-to-sue-city

RKE

5 thoughts on “Man who took video of Rohnert Park cop pulling gun to sue city

  1. “On Thursday morning, Rohnert Park Police canceled a scheduled ‘Coffee with a Cop’ event because they heard through social media that there was a threat to disrupt the event and could put the community at risk.”

    I don’t ever see Henry getting an invitation to an event like this. *laughs*

    1. LOL… they only invite those who are impressed (AND intimidated) by their ‘greatness’.

      Henry is 4F in that category.

  2. The stinking pig bastards will get what they deserve, and it can’t happen soon enough for me.

    Sue the crap out of them, and use the settlement to buy more ammo.

  3. “We’ve seen it and we’re concerned about what we have seen.”

    Your ONLY concern is that it’s been seen by everyone else.

  4. I see no revolver in that video. Anyone else see a revolver? Idiot media douchebags never report anything regarding firearms correctly. Weather and sports scores are the only thing the lamestream media is good for.

Join the Conversation

Your email address will not be published.


*